Where: Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
When: 6:30 – Social time and hands-on activities &
7:00 – Larry Whitson; “Pencils: No Longer Just for Doing Crossword Puzzles”
Join us on November 13th for an evening of exploring pencils and other graphite tools at our November Monthly Program meeting. We will begin at 6:30 with time to socialize and visit several “play stations” where you can try out a variety of activities using different types of graphite.
At 7:00 Larry Whitson will present “Pencils: No Longer Just for Doing Crossword Puzzles”. The presentation will include looking at some examples of work he has been doing with graphite as well as a demonstration of the Versal-like script he has been using with pencil and other media. These are drawn, compound letters that can look elegant or casual. He will demonstrate how to draw these basic letters and then show some ways to bring a bit of quirkiness into the mix.
If time permits, we will look at outlining large majuscule letters and filling them in with your pencil.
Exemplars and guidelines will be provided.
Please bring the following items:
- Sseveral sheets of practice paper (8.5 x 11” copy paper is fine)
- Some pencils. Mechanical pencils in 0.3 or 0.5 mm sizes with HB lead will work fine. Typical #2 pencils are fine as are drawing pencils with 2B, HB or H leads.
- If you remember, bring two extra #2 pencils and a bit of masking tape to tape them together.
- A colored pencil or two may come in handy.
- We will be working on the practice paper you bring. If you want to try a nicer paper, bring a piece of Arches Text Wove or Strathmore 300 or 400 Drawing paper or something similar.
- If you have examples of work done with graphite, feel free to bring them along to share with the group.